Saturday 21 November 2015

Give Your Writing a Chance to Grow.

photo by lekkydoit courtesy of freedigitalphotos.net
Parents know it. Gardeners know it. Preparation.nature and nurture go in to growing anything successfully.

The same applies to developing our writing. Stop beating yourself up because the words you put on the page don't match the ideal you have in your head. 


Just keep putting the words down. Practise, practise, practise and never give up because you don't think you're good enough.


Here's David Liu's beautifully crafted video illustrating the words of Ira Glass. An old one but a great one.





Take heart. Move forward. Grow.

* * * *

Apologies if you've been trying to connect through my newsletter opt-in on the right. I shall struggle to correct the problem before my next post, struggle being the apposite word.

Once I have worked my way through how to use MailChimp--yes, I'm sure everyone finds it easy but me--I'll do a step by step cheatsheet for my own benefit, but which I shall very happily share.

* * * *

2 comments:

  1. Hi Anne, this is a really long shot, but were you ever aa Teacher at Miss Hugh Jones in London, back in the late 60s/early 70s? If you were, you taught me English and piano and I think of you with great affection...I once wrote an essay (aged about 9) and used the phrase "really madly"... Your margin mark was "sounds like the chorus in a 60s pop song". I have never forgotten that and whenever I read or hear it, I hear it as exactly that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredible and so lovely to hear from you--the era of parquet floors and ballet shoes and the wonderful perfume of jasmine.
    I only decided to revive this blog today and shall follow your blogs with joy. Still playing piano? The mice have attacked mine--the joys of country living.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comment here: